John Piper CH, La Couvertoirade, 343 x 520
John Piper born 1903, Epsom, lives near Henley on Thames. Studied at Richmond and Kingston Schools of Art and the Royal College of Art. War Artist 1940. His early works were abstract but after 1938, he turned to landscape and architectural studies in the English Romantic tradition. In particular no painter of his generation has shown such an interest in architecture. He has worked in a wide variety of ﬁelds such as book illustration, stage design and stained glass. In Harlow he was responsible for the mosaic in St. Paul’s Church, also the mural painting in the Technical College which had been commissioned for the Festival of Britain and was later given to the Harlow Art Trust. His work has been bought by the Tate Gallery, the Contemporary Art Society and many other galleries.