The Sir Frederick Gibberd watercolour collection is on permanent display in the Gibberd Gallery. All of the paintings were donated to Harlow in 1984. They came from a personal collection of Sir Frederick Gibberd, made over a period of some forty years. His collection had begun in 1935 and was limited by three conditions: the picture had to be by a British artist, the artist must be alive, and the picture should be a water-colour, drawing or print. The limitations that the artist must be British and alive was to encourage young artists. The collection includes works by John Nash, John Piper, Elizabeth Blackadder and Edward Bawden.